Hardware Product Development
Polaroid is dedicated to analog instant photography in the original, iconic format. We are a spirited, quickly growing international team that’s passionate about instant photography and all related accessories. We are reframing the way people create, connect, and share memories. Company values and behaviors are: The Human, Focus, The Impossible, Honesty, Emotion & Innovation. Come join us!
This role collaborates with Product Management, Marketing, with Industrial Design and other Product Development teams and external engineering partners to develop analogue hardware product features that achieve cost, schedule, reliability, regulatory and safety goals. The ability to use programming language skill C or C++ and related application tools to design a robust firmware solution to meet project needs. The critical of this role must be capable of debugging skill and engineering root cause finding from boards bringing up, porting device drivers and the processes of testing firmware is critically important for this role to be successful. Additional responsibilities for this position include new embedded system or structure solution surveys, evaluation and development.
Objectives of the role:
- Design an embedded firmware solution to meet Polaroid analog instant film camera product needs
- Responsible for the firmware development: Bring-up, verification, and debug of new hardware platforms and existing platforms/products maintenance.
- Responsible for making sure firmware design be delivered on time and success
- Ensure firmware features and algorithms function properly and meet product development goals
- Microcontrollers firmware/driver/algorithm development of new hardware platforms and existing platforms enhancement
- Work with cross-functional teams to support hardware product development and app software implementation
- Ensure the firmware design at the highest product quality standards and driving continuous improvement for the products
- Cooperate with cross functional team to deliver overall design from feasibility study, creating prototypes that prove it, and working to scale that prototype to production.
- Conduct feasibility study on platform solution selection, key component, module and electromechanical subsystem verification, and responsible for the solution convergence.
- Developing, implementing new firmware and maintaining existing embedded firmware platform
- Developing embed firmware for camera performance validation and subsystem/module functional tests
- Developing firmware test plans that cover functional, integration, system, performance, stress and regression testing scenarios.
- Undertaking relevant firmware platform research and presenting studies/designs to managers
- Measuring the performance of electrical components/modules and mechanical moving parts with firmware
- Cooperate with DQE and Production Engineering team to validate new features/ fixed bugs and perform regression tests based on various changes.
- Be the point of communication for the project's firmware development status to a broad audience from executives to engineers highlighting risks with corrective actions.
- Designing and overseeing the installation of firmware systems in proto-builds
- Testing, evaluating, modifying and re-testing products, and managing firmware version release
- Issue debugging through log analysis, benchmark testing, regression testing:
- Bug reporting, tracking, and management: Writing reports documentation, analyzing and interpreting data
- Handle device driver implementation/porting and performance tweaking.
- Partner with external resource/CMs/ODM Suppliers to ensure our designs are optimized for design phase and mass production.
The ideal candidate
- BS/MS degree or above in Computer Science and Information, Electrical or Electronic Engineering or equivalent.
- 3~5+ years of experience developing highly integrated consumer electronics products, preferably with imaging and camera capabilities.
- Experience with embedded system and microcontrollers firmware coding
- Proficient in reading basic schematics and layouts.
- Experience with C/C++ language development and relevant debugging techniques.
- Fresh graduates with actual firmware coding experience are welcomed to apply.
- Passion for photography and interest in how analog camera systems work
- Must be technical acumen able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies.
- Analytical: Attention to detail and ability to work independently.
- Experience in using Source Control / Project Tracking systems (e.g. Jira).
- Passion for team working, and project deliver able to collaborate in a cross-functional, multi-geography setup
- Good knowledge in camera imaging algorithm and firmware platform structure is a plus
- Good programming, coding and debugging skills.
- Inquisitive: Consumer empathy with an avid interest in instant film camera products
What to expect
This is a full-time role based in our Taipei office. You will be reporting to the Mechanical Engineering Team Leader, working closely with the Product Design and other Product Development teams.
If you’d like to be considered for the role, please email your CV and letter of motivation with any other relevant information to Alain Hon (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications must be accompanied by a personalised letter of motivation or they will not be considered.